Search This Blog

Appetizers anyone can make

Appetizers anyone can make
Figs stuffed with parmesan and wrapped in bacon

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spatzle, my hungarian mother taught me how

Hungarian Spatzle-a dumpling


Ingredients: 
 2 eggs slightly stirred
1/4 cup milk
1 cup flour (to be authentic, use cream of wheat)
dash of pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp of rosemary
1 whole head of roasted garlic (see chicken pot pie recipe for how to roast garlic)

First roast the garlic as described on the chicken pot pie recipe, then mix all ingredients together to make your spatzle dough.  This can be used atop chicken stews, but I like it best with melted butter and salt as a side dish to a nice meat dish.


This is a spatzle maker, it will create small noodles in your boiling water.

Although I love having the spatzle maker, I prefer how my mom taught me, which was to put the dough on the board and push off with a butter knife into the salted water.  I can then control their size, which I prefer 3 inches long and about 1/2 an inch wide.  Boil in salted water for about 5 minutes and then drain, put back in the pan with a few tablespoons of butter.
  These are the ones created with the spatzle maker.  I will later put up the larger ones which I prefer.  Still Delicious, I just like a little more dumpling in each bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment