Search This Blog

Appetizers anyone can make

Appetizers anyone can make
Figs stuffed with parmesan and wrapped in bacon

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gluten Free Pizza Dough.

Gluten Free Pizza Dough, worked well *

Ingredients:
2 cups of Gluten free rice flour ( I like EnerG)
3/4 cup warm water (not cold, not hot, you want it for the yeast) *
1/2 tsp sugar
7/8 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp butter *
7/8 tsp active dry yeast

I used a bread maker and used the dough mode.  It takes 1 hour and 30 minutes.  This dough is a little dry, so while the machine is mixing it, check on it many times, and pull back in any dough that is sticking to the side of the pan, and help it mix it a little.  Remove from the machine, and place in a greased bowl.



Cover with a cling wrap and a clean towel, and place in a warm part of your kitchen.  Let rest for 1 hour.  To be honest, I'm not sure this step makes a difference, as gluten free dough doesn't rise the same as regular dough.


  Cover your board in flour and begin to roll out into a rectangle or circle. All you're really trying to do is get the dough to be even across it and the thickness you desire.  In this case, I was making mini pizzas so I made them a little thinner.


I used a biscuit cutter and then a smaller one to make the mini pizza look like it had a crust like a larger one.

Top with pizza sauce, a pinch of cheese (I used a mixture of 1 cup grated Romano,4 ounces of Fontina, 9 ounces of Mozzarella, and 1 cup of Parmesan-way too much cheese, probably because they were mini-but mix up the cheese, and put a pinch on each pizza.  Add your favorite toppings.  Shown here are vegetarian pizzas and pepperoni pizzas.  Those recipes will go up soon too.

I thought they were prettier before they were cooked, but tasty so I'm happy.  This is my first gluten free cooking.






*A discussion on gluten free dough making.  Well, I tried a mix from a health food store, and it was a total flop. Gluten free without the gluten in the regular flour works differently.  So, then I went back to my usual pizza dough recipe and substituted the gluten free rice flour and it was so dry, it looked like it wouldn't work.  So I adjusted the water amount and butter amount, and it came out well (already shown with these additions in the ingredients list).  The crusts could be crunchier if you pre-bake them for about 3-4 minutes before you top them, then proceed like shown above and cook for 12-15 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment