Search This Blog

Appetizers anyone can make

Appetizers anyone can make
Figs stuffed with parmesan and wrapped in bacon

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Why buy Kosher salt if you're not Jewish? or Popcorn salt if you don't eat popcorn?

Why buy Kosher salt if you're not Jewish?  and 
     Why buy Popcorn salt if you don't eat popcorn?

    Well this was a new one for me that I learned on accident.  I have been buying Kosher salt for years for the difference in taste and the larger crystals of salt that add some interest to some recipes. 

I recently purchased some popcorn salt by mistake.  I haven't actually ever bought it before, and was trying to just buy regular morton's table salt. 

Well, for starters, it is much, much smaller crystals that regular salt.  Don't do what I did and put it into your usual salt shaker as it will almost pour out-oops.  Luckily it wasn't done over what I was cooking so nothing was ruined. 

Courser larger crystals of salt in the Kosher salt are nice for adding on top of dishes last minute as they are being served where you want to taste the salt a bit. 

Regular table salt I use in quite a few recipes, disolves well, etc.

Popcorn salt is super fine powdered salt.  It adhears well to popcorn, fries, etc., and sticks well to the dishes.

NOTE:  A teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of Kosher or sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment